[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 and PyQT v2 update

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Sat Apr 27 10:57:50 PDT 2013

At the outset, this will render almost all third party plugins inoperable.
If this change is to be made, we need to widely publicize the fact to users
that some or perhaps all of their favorite plugins may be broken at the
release of 2.0.

It will likely take a while for many of the plugins to be upgraded to the
v2 API. Some will probably be abandoned and stuck at 1.8. We will need to
ensure that the plugin installer can prevent installation of incompatible
plugins in 2.0 as well as 1.8.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It has been discussed that PyQT should be updated to v2 befor the QGIS
> > 2.0 release. Is this still a feasible goal?
> >
> > I think it would be good to also update it before 2.0. With the new
> > Vector API most plugin developers need to rework their plugins anyway.
> > It would be good to also do the PyQT v2 update now.
> >
> > It would be bad if would release QGIS 2.0 without the PyQT v2 update and
> > then shortly after we would break all plugins again, because of the PyQT
> > v2 update.
> >
> > Is Martin the one who would work on this - or can/will others work on
> > this as well? Martin - will you have time?
>
> I would be happy to do the switch, though I will be on holiday for the
> next 10 days. I can have a look at it when I come back. But if there
> is anyone willing to give it a try in meanwhile, feel free to do it
> :-) I am attaching a diff with preliminary changes to switch to spi
> api 2 - if anyone would like to play with it.
>
> IIRC there are few things that need to be sorted out:
> - dealing with QVariant::Type which is used e.g. in QgsField. Most
> likely we can safely switch to using QMetaType::Type (QVariant is not
> directly available anymore)
> - take care with transition of QSettings [1]
> - provide a shortcut that python tests and third-party scripts could
> use for setting sip api 2 (has to be set explicitly if not running
> within QGIS)
> - migrate any plugin code within QGIS source tree
>
> [1] http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt_qsettings.html
>
> Regards
> Martin

Gary Sherman