[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 and PyQT v2 update

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Sat Apr 27 12:53:01 PDT 2013

We have already rendered many plugins inoperable by changing the vector
api (and some other API's) so lots of plugins will need some love to
get ready for 2.0.
Then there is the PyQt API V2 change which will render some more
plugins useless.
And I was just remembering, that I've heard, that the upgrade to PyQt
API V2 is done to be ready for Python 3. So it's probably also worth
considering, if the PyQt version changes and python upgrade should
happen at the same point in time. I have never upgraded code from
Python 2 to Python 3 myself, but there seem to be some differences
which require work to migrate.

In order to be able to plan the plugin development. Is the upgrade to
Python 3 something which is really considered to happen in the next
couple of years? Would it not scare too many plugin developers and
users away, because it will require once more a considerable effort to
update?
If Python 3 is not an option for the next couple of years, is it worth
upgrading the PyQt API now?
Would it be better to upgrade to Python 3 right now! Because this will
require plugin developers to go over all their code now. Once only.

I know it's quite late (with respect to the 2.0 roadmap) to bring this
up, but I haven't really thought of it earlier and I think it's a very
important decision.

+1 for pushing (Borys') work on the plugin installer to a high priority
feature for 2.0

Matthias