[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 and PyQT v2 update

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Sun Apr 28 02:13:51 PDT 2013

Matthias Kuhn wrote
> We have already rendered many plugins inoperable by changing the vector
> api (and some other API's) so lots of plugins will need some love to
> get ready for 2.0.
> Then there is the PyQt API V2 change which will render some more
> plugins useless.
> And I was just remembering, that I've heard, that the upgrade to PyQt
> API V2 is done to be ready for Python 3. So it's probably also worth
> considering, if the PyQt version changes and python upgrade should
> happen at the same point in time. I have never upgraded code from
> Python 2 to Python 3 myself, but there seem to be some differences
> which require work to migrate.
>
> In order to be able to plan the plugin development. Is the upgrade to
> Python 3 something which is really considered to happen in the next
> couple of years? Would it not scare too many plugin developers and
> users away, because it will require once more a considerable effort to
> update?
> If Python 3 is not an option for the next couple of years, is it worth
> upgrading the PyQt API now?
> Would it be better to upgrade to Python 3 right now! Because this will
> require plugin developers to go over all their code now. Once only.
>
> I know it's quite late (with respect to the 2.0 roadmap) to bring this
> up, but I haven't really thought of it earlier and I think it's a very
> important decision.

+1 with Matthias, we should plan pyqt2 and python 3 for a future release. I
see major risks in migrating now when we are in feature freeze with so many
blockers to solve in 2 months. We have very few users and developpers that
did real test to migrate to pyqt2 and python 3 , so we might have major
issues hidden in there.
We users really need 2.0 to happen this year in a stable state and I guess
this is already a great challenge.
My two cents.
Régis