[Qgis-developer] qgsrubberBOX or special annotationitem

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Aug 14 03:01:44 PDT 2013

Hi Devs,

for a plugin there is the need to draw a rectangle on the MapCanvas. We
should be able to resize the rectangle with some handles or so.

First we thought to use an annotationitem for that, but looking more
into that the functionality could be used for all kind of actions, much
more like the qgsrubberband.

Anybody an opinion about this:
- would it be a feature devs/users willing to have?
- what would be the preferred way to implement? like a special
rubberband, or should we stick a class 'BoxItem' between
QgsMapCanvasItem and QgsAnnotationItem? Or should it just be new
mapcanvasitem (just sharing a lot of things with annotationitem)? Or
should it work like the graphic-items from composer?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps some uses which come to mind for me:
- draw a box and download or save the data from that box
- draw a box and only save that part as an image
- draw a box and get the extent of that box (that's the plugin :-) )