[Qgis-developer] QT 5.2 is out

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:57:40 PST 2013

Hi Luca

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Luca Manganelli <luca76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as some of you have noticed, QT 5.2 is out. From release notes [1]:
>
> "I am proud to say that Qt 5.2 fully brings Qt into the mobile space as a
> true player in the app development market supporting Android, iOS,
> BlackBerry, Sailfish/Jolla and Ubuntu Mobile."

Yeah, it would be great to see QGIS ported to Qt5. My hope is that
QGIS 3.0 will use Qt5 and Python3.

>From what I have read in Qt blogs, Qt 5.2 should really make
development for Android easier than ever before.

> Now it could be easier to port QGis to these platforms. I remember that QT,
> from 5.0, uses OpenGL backend and it could render maps faster than before.

Not to my knowledge. OpenGL backend is used for QML-based user
interfaces (Qt Quick 2). But we are not using that for map rendering.
Switching to OpenGL for map rendering would be a big project.

Regards
Martin