[Qgis-developer] How to deal with plugins which are not useful for users (e.g. Hello world)

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 23:44:21 PST 2013

2013/12/29 Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at>

> Hi,
>
> I just unapproved the Hello world plugin on the basis of that it is not
> useful for the general user base.
> It seems like the plugin was created as a test case for the plugin
> management system. I see why that is useful but I also think we should
> avoid having such things show up in the production version.
>
> At least I would like to encourage the use of the "experimental" flag for
> all plugins which are of no direct use to QGIS users but which were created
> by developers for developers or for testing purposes.
>
> What do you think?

Generally speaking, I agree.

But in that particular case (HelloWorld), I feel that people are using it
as a template to explore/start the development of their plugins. It was
downloaded more than 4000 times and people did warn me in the past when it
was broken/uncompatible with newer QGIS version. In other words, even if it
does just nothing (it's a test plugin) I'm sure it has been useful to other
users.

No problem for me to left it unpublished, I will republish it if I need it
for testing but next time, please, be polite and ask the author *before*
unpublishing.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it