[Qgis-developer] How to deal with plugins which are not useful for users (e.g. Hello world)

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Mon Dec 30 03:31:03 PST 2013

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for chiming in.

Am 30.12.2013, 09:44 Uhr, schrieb Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>:
> But in that particular case (HelloWorld), I feel that people are using it
> as a template to explore/start the development of their plugins. It was
> downloaded more than 4000 times and people did warn me in the past when
> it was broken/uncompatible with newer QGIS version. In other words, even
> if it does just nothing (it's a test plugin) I'm sure it has been useful
> to other users.

I'm sure the plugin is useful for plugin developers. For users though,
it's just confusing to have a plugin offered which doesn't do anything.

> No problem for me to left it unpublished, I will republish it if I need
> it
> for testing but next time, please, be polite and ask the author *before*
> unpublishing.

Sorry, I didn't think it was a big deal since it's not a silent procedure,
there are notifications, and reapproving it just one click. I completely
agree that plugins which users might depend on should not be unpublished
without notification, except if something is seriously wrong. As I already
mentioned, I think it's enough if Hello world is marked experimental
anyway, so I reapproved it.

Best wishes,
Anita