[Qgis-developer] The future of OpenStreetMap plugin

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Feb 3 05:54:26 PST 2013

Hi

Martin I also support your ideas. From my experience the biggest
frustration when working with OSM plugin is the unpredictability of
whether you will be able to fetch al the data in your current extent
before hitting the OSM API download ceiling.

Have you looked at using the overpass api rather?

http://overpass-api.de/

Its designed for read only applications and is very fast and reliable,
even when fetching large areas.

Regards

Tim

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> Le samedi 02 février 2013 17:04:52, Martin Dobias a écrit :
>> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Even Rouault
>>
>> <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
>> > Le vendredi 01 février 2013 22:42:36, Martin Dobias a écrit :
>> >
>> > Right, the low level concepts of OSM model are not exposed through the
>> > OGR API, because it doesn't have support for topology.
>> >
>> > However you could "import" ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/osm_parser.h,
>> > ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/osm_parser.cpp and ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/gpb.h in QGIS
>> > in order to benefit from a parser that does the parsing of OSM XML and
>> > PBF in a transparent way from the user point of view. If you pursue that
>> > route, I'd suggest that you rename (or #define) the public symbols of
>> > ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/osm_parser.h so that they don't conflict with the
>> > ones of OGR (in case there are later changes in OGR for example)
>>
>> Hi Even
>>
>> thanks for your hints. At first I was a bit surprised that OGR
>> implements PBF reading without protoc compiler - I guess that's just
>> to avoid dependency on protobuf library, right?
>
> Yes, I wanted to avoid that dependency as protocol buffer is very simple to
> decode at hand.
>
>> The small size and
>> high reading speed of PBF look quite promising, so maybe later I will
>> look at import from PBF.
>>
>> Martin

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services