[Qgis-developer] Extra map canvas redraws

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Feb 9 13:48:56 PST 2013

Hi,

In an effort to help debug and reduce excessive canvas redraws, I added an
option to Options->Rendering (at bottom) to show canvas redraw events in
the Log Message panel [0]. It times the redraw as well.

Also useful for basically debugging issues when users note long redraws, by
helping to determine if it is the redraw or something else by comparing the
timed redraw to the actual wait.

There are currently quite a few possibly unnecessary canvas redraws [1][2]
and maybe more. It would be good if someone started in on fixing when these
redraws should occur.

Should I rename the log output and option to canvas 'redraw' instead of
'refresh'? I think maybe so.

[0]
https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/commit/d4fcc6d2ab2e70f72c0b3df4072247ffbef6815e
[1] http://hub.qgis.org/issues/2596