[Qgis-developer] Dual View: Call for feedback

Josef K groundwatergis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 04:19:49 PST 2013

Hi Matthias

It works fine now. The warnings remains unchanged but I can open the
attribute tables for vector layers without a defined display field.

As you said, custom edit forms integrate quite nicely, at least if they are
well designed to start with. I had a few forms which did not fit too well
into the dual view window but I will just change from horizontal to
vertical layout and everything will be fine.

My overall impression is that it looks nice and that the dual view will be
a great enhancement.

One thing that confused me a bit is that my selection in the map, which
corresponds to the same selection in the classic attribute table, is not
seen in the new 'feature list vew' (what is it called?). I can see there
are advantages with this approach but I think it would cause less confusion
if there was the same selection in all three 'vews': map-attribute
table-feature list. See this [1] example where a user may be mislead to
fill in data for well02 since that is selected on map, or well01 since that
is highlighted in the list.

I also thought of another possible enhancement related to non-spatial
tables. When I have a table loaded into qgis as a non-spatial vector layer,
then I use the plus sign in the attribute table to add features - and an
edit form pops up. I think it would be nice if that edit form showed up in
the new attribute table feature list view instead. Because, when it comes
to non-spatial data, I see no reason to have that edit form pop-up on the
of the map view. (But of course this is the preferred behaviour when adding
new features to a spatial layer.)

Anyway, the dual-view seems like a great improvement and I appreciate that.
Thank you!

Regards
Josef

[1]