[Qgis-developer] Several errors

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:34:36 PST 2013

JFYI

MS-Windows is broken by design. It uses three(!) different ways how to
encode non-latin letters - OEM, ANSI and Unicode at same time. To make
things worse - it's hard to tell them apart unless You (developer)
know where string comes from. Generally problems arise if QGIS is
using anything that runs trough CMD (.bat files etc).
+ to make things worse, add / and \ issue in path separators. In some
places /\ mixture works, in some - not.

As Korean users aren't the only ones affected, my advice is to have a
user with latin-only letters in username.

GRASS GIS ML archives have some nice discussions about those problems.

Maris.

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2011-March/053874.html