[Qgis-developer] Minor issues in print composer GUI

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Feb 20 10:29:54 PST 2013

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Hi all.
> I found a few issues:
> * when starting a new layout, the item properties tab is not shown
> entirely, and it
> has to be enlarged; I'd suggest developers to design taking int account
> small screens

Yes, I noticed this as well. There are three things that need addressed
here:

1) Slim down all options so their width is a set reasonable minimum (some
item properties are unnecessarily wider than others)

2) Ensure the Item Properties panel starts with appropriate width to
accommodate the width of all individual item properties (this means either
defining appropriate splitter size for the panels area, or having something
in that panel fixed at the defined width)

3) Test on laptops to ensure reasonable defaults (Olivier has already
mentioned having more collapsed options, like he initially designed)

Please make an issue ticket for this, if you have the time.

> * now Transparency is used intead of Opacity, thanks; however, I think the
> scale more
> obvious for the user should be in percentage (0-100%) instead of 0-255.

+1 This should be changed. Maybe reopen recently closed ticket?

> Moreover, on Gnome3 (this is not related to recent changes) when clicking
> on Composer
> Manager, then on the desired layout, the popup stays upfront, and to
> access the
> layout one has to close it, and click on the composer window.
> Surely there is a better behaviour.

This is the same on Mac. I've fixed this locally. But the current behavior
allows for opening multiple composer windows (even if multiple selection
isn't supported in the list widget). So, maybe this shouldn't be 'fixed.'

Also, I noticed there is no access to the Composer Manager or Print
Composers menu from within a composer instance. Those are easy enough to
add (just pull in the current QActions from main app window).

Regards,

Larry