[Qgis-developer] Bounty on DXF output

Bill Williamson bill.williamson at productivewaterservices.com.au
Sat Feb 23 17:33:30 PST 2013

Hi Team QGIS,

I would like to offer a bounty of sorts for further work on the ability
of QGIS to export dxf. In the first instance, I would be interested in
replies on what is able to be reasonably achieved.

The bounty is a Motorola XOOM Android tablet with accessories, bluetooth
keyboard with touchpad, OtterBox case and cables.

http://www.motorola.com/Support/AU-EN/Consumer-Support/TABLETS/MOTOROLA_XOOM
http://www.otterbox.com/MOTOROLA-XOOM-Defender-Series-Case/MOT2-XOOM1,default,pd.html

It has been used briefly but I think it represents an attractive bounty,
equivalent ~ US$450 ~$900 new. Free shipped to any reasonable address
(maybe even the hackfest at Valmiera). It is surplus to my requirements
(didn't get that project) and I hope it is a match with the desired
improvements in the code.

The dev work:-
As far as I know;
QGIS has not exported useful dxf's for some time, owing mainly to the
OGR/GDAL driver, see
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5451
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4973
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4381

This proposal is at least for the Windows build and ideally a plugin
ASAP for the stable release, but will be satisfied with 2.0 if the
roadmap matches. The test case would be outputting 2 shapefiles (point
and line) with 2 attributes and 20 features being able to be read by
AutoDesk DWG Trueview. Another resource is DoubleCAD (it is free and can
read current dxf's from QGIS) but it will not be the testbed.

My impression is that templates play a role in dxf export. Perhaps a
dialog could be used to point the driver to a template and in the case
of this bounty one template would be available. Other workers would
build there own templates and the dialog would allow them to select these.

My interest does not extend to dxf import,
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5383
however the bounty hunter is free to explore the requirements there. Nor
is there any specific requirement for DWG export.
http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/spike/dxfdwg/drv_dxfdwg.html

I have little awareness of the issues on the GDAL side, but these might
be start
http://fwarmerdam.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/ogr-dxf-upgrade.html
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4369

And of course will be support all beta testing etc. Please let me know
if the scope of this request is reasonable.

Bill,
A humble user