[Qgis-developer] Shipping SAGA with QGIS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Feb 24 12:39:17 PST 2013

No, putting symlinks (or anything) in /usr/* (other than /usr/local of course) is bad form on OS X.  /usr is for what Apple puts there.  User-installed stuff should be installed in /usr/local.  (Unfortunately, Qt does put some tools in /usr/bin, oh well).  The default PATH on OSX does include /usr/local/bin, for the shell at least, maybe not for apps.

There is a new feature in QGIS to set environment variables explicitly designed for stuff like this.  But it's not in 1.8, so it won't help sextante there.  Maybe to be sure, sextante needs its own env prefs, like the GDAL tools has.

On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Phil Hess wrote:

>>> If you are talking about OS X, then `.app` bundles don't inherit
> environment variables from the same places Terminal apps do
>
> You are correct, sir, although in testing I see that it's not really a
> difference between .app GUI apps and console apps, but rather how an app is
> launched. So starting QGIS by double-clicking QGIS.app means that
> /usr/local/bin is not in the env. path, but starting it from the Terminal
> like this means that /usr/local/bin _is_ in the path:
>
> open /Applications/QGIS.app
>
> Another fix might be for a future SAGA package to create a symlink to
> saga_cmd in /usr/bin - that's always on the env. path regardless of how QGIS
> is launched.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Phil

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin