[Qgis-developer] Better options dialogs

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 08:11:04 PST 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Etienne Tourigny
<etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Larry
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Matthias and Nathan,
>>>
>>> I was just about to bring this topic back up myself. :^) Yes, I can
>>> work on this next (probably this weekend). I'll start with the main
>>> app options dialog, cause it's the simplest.
>>
>> Great to hear that ;-)
>>
>> I just wanted to add that I would also appreciate (for options dialog)
>> what Tim has already mentioned: the "advanced" tab with a property
>> list widget (something like [1]): we have lots of settings that are
>> very rarely used (and some of them are even hard to decipher for
>> developers!), so moving such clutter outside of regular tabs would
>> bring some fresh air to the options dialog. Of course this can be done
>> completely separately from what you're going to implement, just wanted
>> to point out that this would a welcome addition, too :-)
>>
>> [1] http://www.myvirtualdisplay.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/firefox_config.png
>

> I have in the past written a simple widget based on QT Settings editor
> example [0].
> It does exactly what you mention.
>
> I can try to dig up that code, post a screenshot and create a pull
> request for others to review.
>
> [0] http://doc.qt.digia.com/qt/tools-settingseditor.html
>
> Etienne

I have pushed this to my branch
https://github.com/etiennesky/Quantum-GIS/tree/settingseditor

Attached is a screenshot - first basic implementation is a standalone
dialog that can be opened in Settings->Settings Editor.

It allows to edit existing settings keys only, but could be modified
to include non-existing keys also.

It needs improvements for non-string keys (such as bool or integer
values with special meanings), because it treats most values as string
and uses only lineedits for changing values.

Cheers
Etienne