[Qgis-developer] Better options dialogs

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Jan 5 09:20:17 PST 2013

Hi Etienne,

This looks cool.

It would be very nice if one could search within this tree editor - and
if the settings could have a more descriptive text as well as well as
alternative tags if one only knows the term a bit fuzzy.

Do you think that a search and a "fuzzy search" could be added?

Where do you get the list of properties from? Could tags and descriptive
text be added to these settings?

Thanks,
Andreas

Am 05.01.2013 17:11, schrieb Etienne Tourigny:
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Etienne Tourigny
> <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Larry

>>> Great to hear that ;-)
>>>
>>> I just wanted to add that I would also appreciate (for options dialog)
>>> what Tim has already mentioned: the "advanced" tab with a property
>>> list widget (something like [1]): we have lots of settings that are
>>> very rarely used (and some of them are even hard to decipher for
>>> developers!), so moving such clutter outside of regular tabs would
>>> bring some fresh air to the options dialog. Of course this can be done
>>> completely separately from what you're going to implement, just wanted
>>> to point out that this would a welcome addition, too :-)
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.myvirtualdisplay.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/firefox_config.png
>>

>> I have in the past written a simple widget based on QT Settings editor
>> example [0].
>> It does exactly what you mention.
>>
>> I can try to dig up that code, post a screenshot and create a pull
>> request for others to review.
>>
>> [0] http://doc.qt.digia.com/qt/tools-settingseditor.html
>>
>> Etienne
>
> I have pushed this to my branch
> https://github.com/etiennesky/Quantum-GIS/tree/settingseditor
>
> Attached is a screenshot - first basic implementation is a standalone
> dialog that can be opened in Settings->Settings Editor.
>
> It allows to edit existing settings keys only, but could be modified
> to include non-existing keys also.
>
> It needs improvements for non-string keys (such as bool or integer
> values with special meanings), because it treats most values as string
> and uses only lineedits for changing values.
>
> Cheers
> Etienne
>

>>> Regards
>>> Martin