[Qgis-developer] Multiple Data Frames

Benedict Holland benedict.m.holland at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 15:37:12 PST 2013

Hi All,

I just stumbled across this bit from Nathans blog:
http://woostuff.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/the-things-i-would-like-to-see-in-qgis-what-are-yours/

I was wondering if there was someone working on Data Frames and being able
to load multiple data frames into the presenter (exactly like ArcGIS). The
best use case for this exact feature is to get the extent marker for an
area locator in the main map. Something along the lines of a main map with
a tiny area map in the corner displaying the location of the current map.
You see, I actually do need this feature to exist which would make it quite
high on priorities to try to tackle. Also, do you know where I should start
looking and what areas of the code tree I would be working in? I am not
sure if this should start out as a plugin either since I have a feeling I
would end up creating a top level object made up of layers and I am not
sure how well that would fit into a plugin like interface. Of course, I
don't have any skills programming a plugin for anything anyway but I
can re-factor code and design a template for a code review.

Also, how do code reviews happen? I would love to get any input on what
this sort of thing should look like and what features people would
generally want from a "Data Frame" like object and have the class
interfaces reviewed before I start tackling the hard work.

Thanks all,
~Ben