[Qgis-developer] Spatial queries plugin should ignore very small intersections

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Jan 6 02:20:30 PST 2013

Am 06.01.2013 11:09, schrieb Régis Haubourg:
> Hi Andreas,
> +1 for me.
> Tolerance threshold should be square units ( area) for polygon - polygons
> intersects,  and simple units  (length) for line-polygon intersections.

yes

> Beyond that, I had in mind to fund a GUI and performance evolution of
> spatial query tool. It is not very fast, and user interface is really hard
> to understand for simple users. And it is the first feature I use to help
> newcomers to understand GIS tools capacities.
> It also often fails when using non shp formats, or having bad geometries. We
> should couple this tool with a geometry cleaning tool, raising a list of
> errors and automated corrections made. So means adding a clean option to
> 'check geometry' tool.

true - there is a geometry validation tool to detect these invalid
geometries but no cleaning tools available.

So how do we proceed here. Do you want to start writing a specification
for improving the spatial query plugin and the cleaning tools?

In my opinion it also should be a core tool in QGIS, not a plugin. These
spatial queries are really core GIS functions, not optional extensions.

Andreas