[Qgis-developer] Multiple Data Frames

Benedict Holland benedict.m.holland at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 12:18:50 PST 2013

So I found a few related bugs to what I wanted to do so I don't know if
this is incorporated already.

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/2348
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4846

with the second link being what I think I am going for with one substantial
difference. I want to have a main map of a section of say, Maine or New
York zoomed in quite a bit to show a specific town. Then I want a map of
the state of Maine or New York in the corner of the main map with a box
describing the location of the main map. The way ArcGIS does this sort of
thing is sort of brilliant. The way I see this working is to
modify projects so they made up of a layer group:

Project -> Data Frames (at least 1 always, probably named something
different like Map Frame) -> Layers (0 or more)

and allow a data frame to be turned on or off in the composer (perhaps a
check box like display in composer). The active data frame will be
displayed in the main window and only one data frame can be active. Of
course both data frames will have to be movable in the composer as the main
map currently is. I am sure this feature will buy a lot more than just my
use case but I need this sort of functionality just to provide an overview
map embedded within the main map. Does this sound reasonable and doable?

Thanks all,
~Ben