[Qgis-developer] Better options dialogs

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jan 7 00:11:13 PST 2013

 Hi,

 Ideally there could be one single source for all the settings - easily
 to translate and also with all the metadata necessary to build the
 options dialogue (both in its current GUI and with the tree widget).
 Ideally, the search functionality would work with both the traditional
 GUI and the tree view.

 I would be willing to work on a german/english translation and on
 adding tags for a "fuzzy search" but unfortunately don't know enough how
 to integrate such search functionality and the new tree view idea.

 Andreas

 On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 19:40:02 -0200, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> See my reply inline.

>>> Actually they are read from the settings file / registry by
>>> QSettings.
>>> So anything not in the user's setting does not show up.
>>
>> ok
>>
>>> Anything more complex such as you mention would require a csv or
>>> xml
>>> file with description and tags for each settings key.
>>> A csv file would be easier to write and maintain, but an xml file
>>> would be easier to parse I guess. Unless someone can point me to
>>> a handy xml editor or csv-to-xml tool.
>>
>> Ok - we would also need multi-language titles and tags and it should
>> be
>> easily translatable. Can we re-use some existing file for that
>> purpose
>> and extend it with the tags for the fuzzy search?
>
> Actually looking at the existing code, it's based on QTreeWidget so
> any searching functionality would require re-writing it with a
> QTreeView and model, a bit more involved.
>
> I have made some adjustments to the code at [1] (to add support for
> boll, int and double types), I was wondering if I should make a pull
> request or merge it as it is so other devs can have a look?
>
> [1] https://github.com/etiennesky/Quantum-GIS/tree/settingseditor
>
> Cheers,
> Etienne
>

>>> Another thing that would be nice would be the possible values that
>>> setting can take, in a dictionnary (key=value pairs) style.
>>> (e.g. 0="value1";1="value2")
>>
>> yes - it should also be possible to manually add/change settings
>> that
>> one could read/write per python script.
>>
>> Andreas

 Andreas Neumann