[Qgis-developer] Attribute Editor: Dual View

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Wed Jan 9 06:07:20 PST 2013

Hi Matthias (and others),

I read your paper and I like the idea of the dual view because currently
it is not possible to open the attribute editor from the table. On the
other hand I am not convinced of the filter/selection proposal. IMHO one
of the strengths when using GIS data is the unity of geometry and
attribute data. Currently selecting a feature in the map also selects
its attributes in the corresponding table and vice versa.
examples:
1) Select in map and investigate attributes: If a filter was applied the
data might not be visible in the table without clicking "selection to
filter".
2) filter logical in table and investigate these features in the map:
You would need an additional "filter to selection" button to handle this.
3) field calculator: will it update the selected or the filtered datasets?
I think the whole concept will confuse average users. I would favour to
keep the well established solution of features being selected no matter
where (table or map) the selection was performed.

my 2 cents

Bernhard