[Qgis-developer] Cast your vote: Default icon theme for QGIS 2.0

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu Jan 24 19:15:12 PST 2013

Hi Robert,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl>wrote:

> Hi Larry and team,
>
> On 23.01.2013 01:10, Larry Shaffer wrote:
> (...)
>
>> 1) Create a new graphics repository at github.com <http://github.com>,
>> e.g. named 'qgis-graphics'.
>>
>> It is important that a single repository exist where
>> designers/developers can find and work on SVG originals/components for
>>
> (...)
>
> From technical point of view, will we improve somehow accessibility for
> designers moving from OSGeo Graphics to GITHub?
> OSGeo Graphics is updated based on different requests (QGIS, GRASS and
> others). I would prefer to treat 'any' OSGeo repository (at OSGeo or
> github) as main point for graphics dissemination.
> My point is - lets find the simplest environment for designers, but common
> for OSGeo projects. If we want seperate QGIS icons repo (on github), it can
> be synchronized/copied from central OSGeo. Or made as
> sub-folder/sub-project.

The best reasons to use github.com is for its forking and pull requests
features. They make submissions from the community and other developers
very straightforward, both for the submitter and for the repository
maintainer.

If the OSGeo graphics repository were migrated to github the following
could take place...

Anyone in the OSGeo community, or the QGIS project itself, could fork the
OSGeo graphics repository to their account. Changes can readily be made in
usual git fashion (separate branches or on master) and a pull request sent
to the OSGeo graphics account. Developers working on QGIS would just
deposit a copy of the SVG's final version in the QGIS source, then do a
pull request or commit to the Quantum-GIS repository as usual. The
difference here is that all versions/variations/components of that graphic
would be included in the pull request to the OSGeo graphics repository.

The gallery script setup that Tim and I mentioned could be done for the
OSGeo graphics github repository utilizing the gh-pages feature. Github
also has a ticket management system. Essentially, with such a setup, there
would be no reason for the QGIS project to set up its own graphics
repository then.

Maybe just a subdirectory for QGIS graphics, like you mentioned, would be
all that needs added to the OSGeo repository.

I agree, the simpler for everyone, the better. So, my suggestion now is:
moving the OSGeo graphics repo to github would do that.

Regards,

Larry

 2) Condense current icons/pixmaps used in QGIS from all themes into just