[Qgis-developer] Code maintainers

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jan 29 09:19:37 PST 2013

Il 29/01/2013 17:07, Marco Hugentobler ha scritto:

> Some maintainers are not active anymore, but apart from that, most
> information is still true (e.g. entries Nathan mssql provider,
> René-Luc for WFS server are pretty recent).
> Please keep that list (but I don't mind if it is in the wiki or in the
> about dialog).

The inactive devs are mentioned as maintainers of some part of the code,
which is incorrect and misleading

>> * it is duplicated in the About, and not in sync
>
> Do you mean the about dialog in the application? I cannot find any
> maintainer list there...

right, there is a list of devs, without an indication of what they are
maintaining; however, I think the real picture is more complex than one
dev==one section of the code, so a tagging system would be more
appropriate (but overly complex and unmaintainable IMHO). do we really
have maintainers for all the code?
what is IMHO wrong is keeping two similar sources of info in two
different places; I suggested to move everything to the About box of the
application, and ask devs to update their info there. Adding their
maintained code and link is open to question.

underlying rationale: we grew a lot over the years, and I got scared
about how messy is our wiki. I think presenting a more clear and simple
picture to the world would be good (yes, I'm wearing my Marketing
advisor cap here).

thanks for your thoughts.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia