[Qgis-developer] Code maintainers

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Wed Jan 30 00:20:48 PST 2013

>what is IMHO wrong is keeping two similar sources of info in two
>different places; I suggested to move everything to the About box of the
>application, and ask devs to update their info there. Adding their
>maintained code and link is open to question.

But are you removing the whole Project_Organigram page
(http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Project_Organigram) and list all
the persons in the organiram in the contributors page of the about
dialog then? Following your logic, the information of the release team
and community team could also outdate some day or not totally reflect
'reality'.

Btw., the about box can also outdate. It is very unlikely that
contributors who are not active anymore remove their name from the about
box as a last commit...

>do we really
>have maintainers for all the code?

We don't need to (unless the financial department brings in 3 Mio. $ /
year :-) ). It is already a huge gain for the project if there are some
maintained parts. Even if a maintainers page cannot reflect reality
perfectly (but nothing can do that), it motivates people to keep code
parts up-to-date (e.g. with recent API changes).

>underlying rationale: we grew a lot over the years, and I got scared
>about how messy is our wiki. I think presenting a more clear and simple
>picture to the world would be good (yes, I'm wearing my Marketing
>advisor cap here).

The wiki cleanup is much appreciated from my side. Just I vote for
keeping the organigram page (including maintainers section).

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler