[Qgis-developer] State of QGIS WFS provider

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 01:24:36 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Jeremy Palmer <JPalmer at linz.govt.nz> wrote:
> What peoples thoughts about the state of this provider. The currently
> limitations I see currently with it is:
>
> poor handling of larges datasets (e.g http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4604)
> doesn't support WFS 1.1 or WFS 2.0 (or GML payloads that go along with those
> versions)
> doesn't support setSubsetString.
> poor operator support for filters e.g no LIKE or spatial stuff
> Doesn't query GetCapabilities to determine supported functions or operators.
> Poor user connection UI (i have a patch to improve this to using
> QSortFilterProxyModel)
>
> I wondering if one way to deal to a lot of these issues is to use the OGR
> WFS implementation with QGIS. As of OGR 1.9 its support for WFS is very
> good. Benefits are:
>
> common code (worked on by more people)
> handles filters better
> handles talking to different implementations of the standards better (e.g
> mapserver, Geoserver, deegree)
> handles fetching larger datasets better e.g with paging support etc
>
> Of course continuing to develop the current driver has the advantage of
> tighter integration with the QT framework and QGIS. Such as utilising QT
> network and proxy management.

Just a note, not directly related to WFS. I am extending QgsWFSData
(GML parser) to be used for WMS GetFeatureInfo in GML format. The
changes are not targeted on performance however (getting schema from
XSD, guessing schema from GML). Just to say that there will be another
provider using the parser.

Radim