[Qgis-developer] incoherent and unproffesional icons (regression)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Jul 6 10:55:37 PDT 2013

Hi Borys,

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Borys Jurgiel <lists at borysjurgiel.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some new svg icons (all the wrenches, hammers and screwdrivers) are
> completely
> out of the palette. Those icons in options or layer properties dialogs are
> much more colorful and complicated than other icons [1]. Sorry to say that,
> but it looks awful to me :) I'd either ask Robert if he has a svg version
> somewhere (although he's probably quite busy right now) or leave png (the
> property icons are not supposed to scale AFAIK). Making svg at all cost is
> not
> the right way IMHO and the recent look is a regression for me.

I have just updated some of Denis's property icons to help them match the
characteristics of existing icons [0]. There were issues with the new icons
having no buffered whitespace and the line width was a bit heavy [1].

However, I do not see how you can label Denis's excellent initiative to
rework these icons as 'incoherent and unprofessional' or a regression. ?? I
fail to see how that type of criticism is constructive towards the goal of
arriving at better icons, especially since none of the new icons is in any
way of lesser quality, artistically or intrinsically, than the ones they
have replaced.

I also fail to see how these icons being SVG has anything to do with issue.
IMO all icons in the program should be switched over to SVG. There are no
issues that I can see with doing so.

[0] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/commit/7d273b1e
[1] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/general-system-icon_update.png

Regards,