[Qgis-developer] incoherent and unproffesional icons (regression)

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Sun Jul 7 06:57:46 PDT 2013

Dnia sobota, 6 lipca 2013 o 19:55:37 Larry Shaffer napisał(a):
> I have just updated some of Denis's property icons to help them match the
> characteristics of existing icons [0]. There were issues with the new icons
> having no buffered whitespace and the line width was a bit heavy [1].

Surely it's a step in right direction, thanks. However the icons still ignore
the palette (especially the saturation) and the style (e.g. the degree of
shape complexity) of icons already existing on the list. Just compare the
hammer&screwdriver to the paintbrush.

> However, I do not see how you can label Denis's excellent initiative to
> rework these icons as 'incoherent and unprofessional' or a regression. ?? I
> fail to see how that type of criticism is constructive towards the goal of
> arriving at better icons, especially since none of the new icons is in any
> way of lesser quality, artistically or intrinsically, than the ones they
> have replaced.

I appreciate Denis' daily work so much that I don't mince words when one
particular commit goes IMHO in completely wrong direction. Denis, I kindly
appologize if you felt offended or depreciated. I used to talk straight if I
completely can't agree with a particular action and I'm thankful if people do
the same to me.

I have nothing against the new icons themselves. I don't prefer the old ones.
Even if I did, I'm not going to force my personal taste. But I'm going to
defend a basic harmony in the GUI. The new icons just completely don't fit to
the others. I'm not skilled in design, so usually I sit still and let more
competent people work. But this is one of the rare moments, when I feel
constrained to point out that maybe asking the original author about svg
sources may be better solution than introducing such a mixture of styles.

> I also fail to see how these icons being SVG has anything to do with issue.
> IMO all icons in the program should be switched over to SVG. There are no
> issues that I can see with doing so.

Of course all icons should be switched, but imho not at the cost of making
them incoherent. Btw. big thanks for your tonight's replacements the old
inconsistent icons :)

Borys