[Qgis-developer] Toolbar and Panel defaults

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 16:13:15 PDT 2013

I think on the right is fine. To me that feels better that all the way over
on the left.

It's a real bugger that we can't make Qt dock the toolbars inside something
else, seems you are constrained to QMainWindow.

- Nathan

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Having the nav toolbar on the side would be ideal if you could dock it on
>> the right side of the layers panel.  I'm not a fan of having to go all the
>> way over the layer panel to access the navigation tools.
>>

> That's a very good point. What about the Navigation toolbar on the right,
> with the Plugin toolbar filling the empty space at right on the first row
> of horizontal toolbars?
>
> Here's my reasoning. Nav tools are quickly accessible, and when a new user
> downloads/installs a plugin, there is already space to show it (assuming
> that plugin loads a tool button into the Plugins toolbar). Then the user
> can move toolbars to their liking.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> [0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default_nav-tools-right.png
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry
>

> - Nathan
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>wrote:
>>
>>> H Pirmin,

>>> Couple of other ideas comments, too:
>>>
>>> * Currently there are no side toolbars by default. Many apps utilize the
>>> left side toolbar for critical tools. To me, such tools in a GIS app are
>>> the canvas navigation tools. So whenever I to an initial setup of QGIS, I
>>> always put the Map Navigation toolbar on the left.
>>>
>>> * Similarly, I always place the Plugins toolbar on the right side. There
>>> is currently a bug that sets that toolbar to not be shown on a default
>>> install (that should be fixed).
>>>
>>> I would like to hear feedback on those two suggestions for default side
>>> toolbars. Following your suggestions (and mine), the default window would
>>> look similar to this (on Mac) [0].
>>>
>>> +1 for removing Advanced Digitizing toolbar as a default, as all of the
>>> functions are available in the Edit menu already. If needed, the user can
>>> show that toolbar.
>>>
>>> Another major layout issue is what the layout looks like after turning
>>> on all core plugins [1]. Then, what it looks like when all those plugin
>>> toolbars are shown [2]. This needs some work.
>>>

>>> [0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default.png
>>> [1]
>>> http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default_core-plugins_no-extra-toolbars.png
>>> [2]