[Qgis-developer] Toolbar and Panel defaults

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Thu Jul 11 16:33:53 PDT 2013

Hi Larry, Nathan,

Am Mittwoch, 10. Juli 2013, 17.05:56 schrieb Larry Shaffer:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Having the nav toolbar on the side would be ideal if you could dock it on
> > the right side of the layers panel.  I'm not a fan of having to go all the
> > way over the layer panel to access the navigation tools.
>
> That's a very good point. What about the Navigation toolbar on the right,
> with the Plugin toolbar filling the empty space at right on the first row
> of horizontal toolbars?
>
> Here's my reasoning. Nav tools are quickly accessible, and when a new user
> downloads/installs a plugin, there is already space to show it (assuming
> that plugin loads a tool button into the Plugins toolbar). Then the user
> can move toolbars to their liking.
>
> Any other ideas?

I'm not a friend of a toolbar on the right side, because it's too far away
when the Sextante toolbox is displayed.
I propose to put the layer toolbar on the left side. This will feel quite new
for most users, but it makes sense to have it at the side of the layers panel
and the browser which also has an "add layer" functionality.
+1 for activating the plugin toolbar filling empty space.

Pirmin