[Qgis-developer] Toolbar and Panel defaults

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu Jul 11 18:32:14 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Pirmin Kalberer <pi_ml at sourcepole.com>wrote:

> Hi Larry, Nathan,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 10. Juli 2013, 17.05:56 schrieb Larry Shaffer:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Having the nav toolbar on the side would be ideal if you could dock it
> on
> > > the right side of the layers panel.  I'm not a fan of having to go all
> the
> > > way over the layer panel to access the navigation tools.
> >
> > That's a very good point. What about the Navigation toolbar on the right,
> > with the Plugin toolbar filling the empty space at right on the first row
> > of horizontal toolbars?
> >
> > Here's my reasoning. Nav tools are quickly accessible, and when a new
> user
> > downloads/installs a plugin, there is already space to show it (assuming
> > that plugin loads a tool button into the Plugins toolbar). Then the user
> > can move toolbars to their liking.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> I'm not a friend of a toolbar on the right side, because it's too far away
> when the Sextante toolbox is displayed.
> I propose to put the layer toolbar on the left side. This will feel quite
> new
> for most users, but it makes sense to have it at the side of the layers
> panel
> and the browser which also has an "add layer" functionality.
> +1 for activating the plugin toolbar filling empty space.

So, going with your suggestion of having Manage Layers toolbar on left, and
Plugins toolbar filling space to right of Help toolbar, the layout would
look like this [0] (using latest icons from Denis [1]).

+1 for this as default layout.

Couple of things need some work:

* The New Spatialite Layer needs a new icon, and its icon added to the
toolbar

* When all other core plugins are turned on (that have a add or new layer
function) it looks confusing, like this [2] (after a restart). To fix, just
need to ensure the Oracle and SQL Anywhere (also needs new icon) icons go
before the W*S icons and the New GPX Layer goes before the Remove Layer
icon. This way, the icon grouping continues to make sense: Add, New, Remove.

* Help icon looks a little too dominant, or possible too far off-style.

[0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default_manage-layers_left.png
[1] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/pull/700
[2]
http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default_manage-layers_left-all.png