[Qgis-developer] Splash screen for 2.0

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Jul 23 00:35:03 PDT 2013

Hi

My 2c below:

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Here is a version with the green but also the full logo:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6bj807cesttnwl/qgis_green3.png
>>

> +1, I think the layout and color selection are good. The layout doesn't
> include that dark grey border, does it? If so, please consider removing it.

I think the Q logo should be smaller, say 1/3 the splash hight and nestled
into the top left corner (with some white space around it) and with no
transparency.

> Also, the font used for 'QGIS' is rather weak and, to be frank, a bit
> goofy-looking (especially the Q). I have a huge assortment of professional
> fonts which I can work with to find something better.

Agreed - though can you please use a font that is free or at  least easily
available and provide the final splash as a gimp xcf so that we can easily
re-use it in future releases.

> Nathan, do you have a working design file I can use? Or at least a
> background PNG without the lettering?
>
> There appears to be no leading between the lines 'QGIS 2.0' and 'Dufour,'
> nor spacing between 'QGIS' and '2.0.' Was this intended? I do kind of like
> the effect, however. Usually when this is done in design, at minimum, the
> coloring of the two words/lines is different, even if just a difference in
> tone of the same color.

I agree with this, it needs a little more white space between the words.

Also a note that we usually store the master splash in  much higher
resolution so that it can be used in posters / printed products etc. A
downsampled one is then used for the final splash. Ideally in future
releases we would just swap out the background image and edit the text
containing the version and name.

Regards

Tim

Regards,