[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2 help fails on OS X

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jul 26 11:54:41 PDT 2013

Hi Royce,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Cline, Royce L. <rcline at nd.gov> wrote:

> If I click the help button in a dialog (ex. Preferences) I get an error
> that it cannot find libspatialindex.dylib. However, the library is present
> in the application bundle at:
> /Applications/QGIS_2.0-dev.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libspatialindex.dylib
>
> If I create a symbolic link in /usr/local/lib/ to
> /Applications/QGIS_2.0-dev.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libspatialindex.dylib,
> then help works. Any other Mac users having this problem.

This is an app bundling error. I have verified here on 10.7.5 with the
nightly. The separate help app is located here (relative to your install):

/Applications/QGIS_2.0-dev.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/qgis_help.app

Inside its bundle is the main executable at:

qgis_help.app/Contents/MacOS/qgis_help

Running the 'otool -L ' on that gives the following (which matches your
error):

@executable_path/lib/libspatialindex.dylib

This is not where libspatialindex.dylib is located relative to the
qgis_help binary. It is really at:

@executable_path/../../../../lib/libspatialindex.dylib

in the main QGIS app bundle.

This needs fix in the CMake setup for bundling on Mac. You can fix locally
if you have Apple's XCode and command line developer tools installed with
the following commands in Terminal:

cd
/Applications/QGIS_2.0-dev.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/qgis_help.app/Contents/MacOS

install_name_tool -change @executable_path/lib/libspatialindex.dylib \
@executable_path/../../../../lib/libspatialindex.dylib \
qgis_help

Works for me on 10.7.5. Please test if you can. Make sure to remove the
noted symlink you made first (unneeded).

Now, this begs the question... why is libspatialindex.dylib needed by the
help app to begin with? I don't think it is. So really, what needs fixed is
the fact that it is being added to the help app build, when it shouldn't be.

Also, you will find the info in the help app outdated. And, often the app
will open up behind your front window.

Regards, and thanks for the report.

Larry