[Qgis-developer] SIP API Update merged. Attention plugin authors and nightly dev users.

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Mon Jun 10 06:46:33 PDT 2013

Dnia poniedziałek, 10 czerwca 2013 o 14:54:45 Nathan Woodrow napisał(a):
> Hey everyone,
>
> You are now free to upload your new 2.0 API version of your plugins to the
> QGIS plugin repo. Remember to set qgisMinimumVersion and qgisMaximumVersion
> in your metadata.txt so that plugin repo and installer get the right
> version of the plugin.

Let me precise.

Only the qgisMinimumVersion is required.

QGIS assumes, that a usual plugin is compatible with that version and higher
WITHIN one major version. So you set the minimum to 1.6, and the maximum is
assumed to 1.99. You set the minimum to 2.0, and the maximum is 2.99. Etc.

There are two cases however, you could want to set the qgisMaximumVersion
explicitly:

1. Set it lower than default. E.g. min=2.0 and max=2.3. Hardly useful, as we
don't break API within one major version, so plugins for 2.0 should work with
any 2.x. Also if you want to publish one version for QGIS 2.0-2.3 and a second
for 2.4-2.99, you shouldn't use the qgisMaximumVersion. Instead, you can bump
up the version of the second plugin. QGIS will always choose *the most recent*
version with matching qgisMinimumVersion. So the higher version will go to
QGIS>=2.4, and the lower to QGIS 2.0 - 2.3.

2. Set it higher than default. If your plugin is very simple and you want to
maintain one dual-API version instead of two separate, you can set:
qgisMinimumVersion to 1.6
qgisMaximumVersion to 2.99

Please note "99" is the highest allowed value, so if you use a longer number,
QGIS will either reject your plugin because of unclear version number or
fallback to default.

Hmmm, can we write it down somewhere in the documentation?