[Qgis-developer] Plugin "category" - do we need it?

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Tue Jun 11 09:45:10 PDT 2013

Dnia wtorek, 11 czerwca 2013 o 18:34:06 Richard Duivenvoorde napisał(a):

> I thought the idea was that based on this value in the metadata the
> plugin would be placed in that menu...
>
> But I know it is not implemented yet.
>
> Maybe is it possible to let the 'addPluginToMenu' take this
> metadata-value into account? And if not available keep current
> behaviour: just put it in the plugin menu. Then we can get (maybe) rid
> of the rest of the 'addPlugingToXXXMenu?
>
> if this is hard, I also would remove it. The fact that it is easy for
> the user to find out where to find it is not enough for me to keep it....

Yes, it's quite hard, as the 'addPluginToMenu' method doesn't know which
plugin is called from (or maybe just from the console).

So maybe we should add a mandatory multiline attribute called "about" and
encourage authors to include this information there. See:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4069#note-15