[Qgis-developer] Possible improvement | Actions on right click

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Fri Mar 15 01:48:41 PDT 2013

Alister Hood wrote
> Hi guys,
> In this case I think rather than having a context menu dedicated just to
> layer actions, it might be better eventually to have a more general
> context menu, with actions in a submenu.
>
> I think context menus would be good everywhere ;)
>
> For most people when a right-click does anything different from opening a
> context menu they are surprised - assuming they even notice what it did.
> If the right-click function is moved into a context menu then they will
> know what it did, even if they didn't read the manual.
>
> I guess getting rid of all direct right-click functions might upset some
> existing users, because an extra click will be required for the same
> function, but it will of course allow more functions to be added.
>
> IIRC I think there is a recent proposal for context menus in the composer
> - in a ticket or pull request for paste to original coordinates.
>

> Regards,
> Alister

+1 with you alister. We could put that global target on 2.1 roadmap maybe.
contextual menu are generally used for differents purposes:

1- access properties of the object you click in .
 for mapCanvas, you could have shortcuts to projection settings, project
settings, current zoom and scale, refresh content, stop redraw.  I think
some shortcuts to render global options could be nice. I often have to play
with antialiased rendering / number of objetcts to draw when displaying very
large datasets. A shortcut could be nice. Do you see anything else.

2- actions under the click location (layers actions, plugins actions, finsh
editing of a feature).

we must precisely decide what happens for editing use case, where right
click is used today top finish an object.. Thoughts?