[Qgis-developer] hints for writing a C++ plugin

Diego Gnesi Bartolani diego.gnesi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 02:00:41 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm new to this mailing list. I am writing a plugin for QGIS in order to
perform complex cost surface analyses. I wrote some code in Python using
GDAL, and it works but it is too slow. So, I'm considering the possibility
to re-write the plugin in C++, but C++ plugins are less documented and I
have few questions:

- can they be deployed in the same way Pythons plugins are? (Or, if not,
what the user shall do to install the plugin and what have I to do deploy
it?)
- which library shall I use to read and write raster data from a C++ QGIS
plugin? GDAL or a specific QGIS API? And if the answer is GDAL, can I trust
that this library will be installed in final user's pc?

Thanks!!