[Qgis-developer] Database relations and nested forms in QGIS: Call for Funding

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Mar 20 00:32:57 PDT 2013

Hi all,

The Swiss QGIS user community is increasingly building application
modules around QGIS. Most of these modules require database relations -
not only 1:1, but also 1:n and n:m relations. Currently, only 1:1
relations are supported (with some limitations) in QGIS through the
table joins.

Since many upcoming QGIS applications will require also 1:n and n:m
relations we want to make database relations a core feature in QGIS.

Matthias Kuhn from Switzerland already started work on this and will
continue to work on it. Some swiss communities started funding this and
other efforts in QGIS - now we are looking for some additional funding
and are also approaching the international QGIS community for financial
support.

Matthias and Denis Rouzaud (both from Switzerland) already worked on the
following forms and database improvements:

* drag and drop forms designer - allows to easily re-order form widgets
and group them in tabs and groups
* combining forms and tables into a single window (dual view)
* Allow to step through all records and forms one by one
* Filters/Selections apply on both forms and table
* database relations manager allows to set foreign key database
relations (regardless of the provider - you can join f.e. a
Postgis-table with a SQL-server table)

The next steps would be the nested forms where one can embed one child
form in another master form and the records are filled into the child
form automatically based on the relation defined in the relations manager.

We are looking for funding of CHF 13'000, approx. 10'500 € or 13'700 US$
to complete this work for the nested forms.

If you have an interest in database relations and more complex forms
please consider to support this important QGIS feature that will in the
future allow to build more complex tools and applications with QGIS and
databases.

If you are interested, please contact me and I can forward you the more
detailed specification of what we plan with the nested forms.

Thank you,
Andreas