[Qgis-developer] Histograms huge

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Wed May 1 02:24:54 PDT 2013

Hi Paolo

On 30.04.2013 17:44, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
> much better indeed. A few notes:
> * the fixed size of the pies is greyed out, and I donot see how to
> change it
Qt designer erased the slot signals when I changed from toolboxes to
tabs. Will be fixed upon next commit.
> * the option for dimensions are not remembered when closing the window
Which dimensions are you referring too.
> * the default dimension for pies (100) appears too large in most cases
I'll change that to 50, I think that's more reasonable (for mm's, for
MapUnits it's the users duty anyway)
> * wouoldn't it be better to autofill the Max Value field for size scaling?
Not sure. A user might want to have a more natural mapping of attributes
/ value (e.g. 1cm /100 people) instead of using a maximum value. This
should rather be a help than a default value IMO.

> * if I do not select a fixed size (which, for histograms, does not
> make much sense),
True, I remember I had the same feeling when implementing this last
year. I removed the fixed size option for histograms.
> I get:
> ---
> You did not specify a maximum value for the diagram size. Please
> specify the
> attribute and a reference value as a base for scaling in the Tab
> Diagram / Size.
> ---
> which should refer to pies only, I guess.
> * in general, I cannot display a reasonable size of histogram, so it
> must not be too
> intuitive, I guess.
Last, but most important: Sure. Because I broke it all yesterday. This
field in fact is no multiplier, but needs an attribute value reference
field (which I removed). So it should say

Bar length: Scale linearly, such as the following value matches the
specified size:
Attribute value [100] = Bar Length [50]

Which attribute is selected does not matter here at all. It's really
just a helper to get a reasonable default value in this context.

I gave it another try.