[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 and PyQT v2 update

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu May 2 02:30:05 PDT 2013

Hi

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch> wrote:
> It was not my intent to encourage the postponement of these features to
> a later release.
>
> I wanted to get a decision about inclusion or non-inclusion which is
> not based on time-constraints of the developers, but instead is
> strategic decision.
>
> In my opinion, it can shed a bad light onto the project and discourage
> developers from maintaining their plugins if they've got to rework the
> whole plugin with several subsequent major releases.
>
> If this is a top-priority goal for 2.0 I don't mind having it excepted
> from the API freeze (and therefore rendering the API freeze pretty much
> useless) for a week or two.
>
> Concerning Python 3: This is a mail from 2010 which states, that there
> is the possibility to support Python 2 and Python 3 at the same time:
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2010-January/008803.html
> If this is really possible, I don't see any problems with postponing
> the Python 3 update, as we'll be able to have a painless grace period.

My opinion is we should rather break as many things in possible in one
go, instead of multiple times. So if there is someone willing to do
the API change to PyQt V2 I would prefer that we lift the API freeze
and draw out the release rather than stick dogmatically to the
deadlines and create huge inconvenience to plugin writers twice.

Regards

Tim

> Thank you for your feedback
> Matthias
>
> On Son 28 Apr 2013 11:13:51 CEST, Régis Haubourg wrote:
>> Matthias Kuhn wrote
>>> We have already rendered many plugins inoperable by changing the vector
>>> api (and some other API's) so lots of plugins will need some love to
>>> get ready for 2.0.
>>> Then there is the PyQt API V2 change which will render some more
>>> plugins useless.
>>> And I was just remembering, that I've heard, that the upgrade to PyQt
>>> API V2 is done to be ready for Python 3. So it's probably also worth
>>> considering, if the PyQt version changes and python upgrade should
>>> happen at the same point in time. I have never upgraded code from
>>> Python 2 to Python 3 myself, but there seem to be some differences
>>> which require work to migrate.
>>>
>>> In order to be able to plan the plugin development. Is the upgrade to
>>> Python 3 something which is really considered to happen in the next
>>> couple of years? Would it not scare too many plugin developers and
>>> users away, because it will require once more a considerable effort to
>>> update?
>>> If Python 3 is not an option for the next couple of years, is it worth
>>> upgrading the PyQt API now?
>>> Would it be better to upgrade to Python 3 right now! Because this will
>>> require plugin developers to go over all their code now. Once only.
>>>
>>> I know it's quite late (with respect to the 2.0 roadmap) to bring this
>>> up, but I haven't really thought of it earlier and I think it's a very
>>> important decision.

>> +1 with Matthias, we should plan pyqt2 and python 3 for a future release. I
>> see major risks in migrating now when we are in feature freeze with so many
>> blockers to solve in 2 months. We have very few users and developpers that
>> did real test to migrate to pyqt2 and python 3 , so we might have major
>> issues hidden in there.
>> We users really need 2.0 to happen this year in a stable state and I guess
>> this is already a great challenge.
>> My two cents.
>> Régis
>>

>> --