[Qgis-developer] Final Logo Pick

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat May 18 11:30:26 PDT 2013

Hi,

------snip 8< -------------------------

> > Sorry, again, but I think the current logo falls far short of those
> goals,
> > and any focus on revamping it is just prolonging the inevitable decision
> > move to a better one.
>

> Just to clarify - I am not opposed to replacing the logo at all. I
> just want to replace it with something that properly addresses our
> needs rather than taking an option we are not happy with simply
> because of the 99designs competition deadline. Currently there isn't
> an entry in my opinion that does this - for me anyway.

I agree 100% that a logo should not be settled upon, but happily selected,
regardless of any competition deadline. It's a very important decision. I
have a couple of ideas to overcome the current impasse:

1) Run off - Currently there seems to be two popular designs, but a general
consensus that neither is the 'right' one. There could be a short-term 'run
off' competition that allows those two designers to try and come up with
better designs, in an attempt to find a good solution for 2.0 release.
Again, this should not mean the result has to be binding, i.e. the winner's
logo used.

2) Use current logo - For 2.0 release, just use the current logo, as is.
After 2.0 release, I suggest the forming of an design committee to manage
another go at finding a new logo, and for the reasons mentioned below.

3) Design committee - Kudos to Nathan for his efforts on the competition
and getting everyone involved in the process. In retrospect I think a logo
by popular consensus, as a means of getting to final logo selections, may
not be the best course of action. In many organizations there are people
with design background or knowledge who work on making the initial
selections to bring to the community or those who make decisions.

For example, the popular #50 has a inherent design flaw of being 95% black,
even though the rest of the design is OK. Such a committee could have
spotted this early on and asked the designer to work on a fix, before the
logo was presented to the community/PSC to vote on.

I suggest such a committee be formed and comprised of 3-5 people who's job
is to manage and make initial decisions on:

* Project logo, design style, fonts
* Marketing material design style
* Documentation/web site template style and fonts
* Program's general icons, toolbar icons, splash screen and style

A design committee will allow a cohesive 'look' for all parts of the
project to start taking shape. The committee should probably answer to and
be under the purview of the PSC marketing advisor, and have specific
abilities bestowed upon it members to vote internally to act on smaller
decisions without needing full PSC approval.

Basically, I feel design by community popular vote is not a good approach:
too many cooks in the kitchen. This committee could be formed now, with an
initial goal of handling the current logo situation. While personally I
have a lot of design experience and would like to be on such a committee, I
understand my current conflict of interest regarding the logo, and would
recuse myself regarding its decision.

An active community member who has clear public examples of quality,
design-oriented work would be Anita Graser. So, I would nominate her to be
on such a committee.

Regards,

Larry