[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Ubuntu Tablet

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed May 22 13:50:34 PDT 2013

Hi,

Just yesterday I was approached at work about making a mobile gis-based
field mapping program for dinosaur bone excavations (my current day job is
IT- and design-related for a professional paleontology company). Of course
I thought of a QGIS-Android and QMap first. Then, I read about the upcoming
Ubuntu Tablet (Touch) [0], a replacement for Android on modern tablets
(e.g. Google Nexus, etc.) currently in development release [1][2].

As I understand, it is the full OS, with a stripped GUI down using a custom
version of Unity that allows both desktop and mobile apps to run
side-by-side, both literally and graphically.

Has anyone tried this OS on a tablet yet; and, if so, do you have a guess
on how QGIS might run under it? (I'm looking into a Nexus 10 for testing.)

Marco Bernasocchi, since it appears to be just getting everything to
compile and run under ARM chip, any thoughts on what may be needed to get
QGIS up and running under such an OS? I have not found whether Python is
supported yet, but I anticipate it will be.

[0] http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet
[1]
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/ubuntu-for-tablets-arriving-on-nexus-7-nexus-10-this-week/
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch