[Qgis-developer] Delimited text issues and ideas

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sun May 26 09:22:08 PDT 2013

Hi Chris,

2013/5/26 Chris Crook <ccrook at linz.govt.nz>:
> Good thought.  If you are loading several files at the moment QGIS should remember the settings between files, so you only have to select them and add them, not redo the settings.  But it is still a lot of clicks for each file.

Right, now settings are saved between files, but users still need to
select file one by one. Not userfriendly IMO.

> 1) Once a list of files are selected from browse buttin, how to display the selected file names in the text box.  Would this become a drop down list? Or would we use a list of file names with a separator (and if so, what separator)?  Should the text box allow wild card file names?  There must be a precedent for this somewhere, just can't think of one straight away.

Why not show full file names with separator like semicolon? If I'm not
wrong, same approach used in GDALTools plugin when
multiple files selected.

> 2) Handling of layer names for each file.  Could just be the file name (which is the default layer name anyway).  Could have some way of entering the filename into a string (eg <filename>).  Whatever is used it should be consistent with the rest of QGIS (expression builder? not sure there is anywhere variables are used in this way), and obvious for the user...

For me using filename as layer name is fine

--
Alexander Bruy