[Qgis-developer] How to enable labeling tools to move labels (since last merge of Larry's work)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri May 24 08:33:39 PDT 2013

Hi Régis,

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Régis Haubourg <
regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Larry, first, congratulations for the great labeling refactoring, this is
> huge!
>
> I couldn't find a way to enable the move / rotate tools in toolbar, in edit
> mode, after having defined fields for X and Y in expression. Tools that
> opens a dialog to modify font, text.. is working, but I couldn't change Y X
> values in it.
> Is this an issue or a I missing something?

There is a short description about this below those settings:
"( Define attribute fields to enable labeling map tools )"

It means that only an attribute field mapping data definition can be used
to enable the labeling map tools (e.g. Move, Rotate, Change Properties). An
expression does not work. Since those tools directly edit the attribute
table, access to the field needs to be established, i.e. a data defined
mapped attribute field.

While it is possible to find out what attribute fields (aka columns) are
referenced within an expression, there is no simple means of determining
any one of those fields are intended to be open for writing new values. It
is possible when there is only one field in the expression, and no other
parts to the expression, to use it directly, but then why not just map a
field?

There are use cases for allowing expressions for all of those settings (X,
Y, Alignments, Rotation), so limiting those data definitions to only
allowing attribute field mappings would not be a good idea.

It looks like the 1 line help description, noted above, needs more work.
Maybe invert the logic?:
"(Defining expressions will disable labeling map tools)"

Also, a good and concise contextual help needs drafted to explain new
labeling options and how they work. Then, expanded upon for inclusion in
general documentation.

Regards,

Larry