[Qgis-developer] How to enable labeling tools to move labels (since last merge of Larry's work)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon May 27 02:53:55 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:09 AM, kimaidou <kimaidou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2013/5/27 HAUBOURG <regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr>
>
>>  Hi Larry, ****
>> Putting expression item to the bottom of list, and renaming the entries
>> as follow should be better IMHO, since expression is more advanced:
>>
>> “Field types : String, Int, Double”  -> “choose Field ( enable map tools)”
>> ****
>>
>> “Edit expression” ->” Calculate value with expression (disable map tool)”
>> ****
>>
>> Does that sound good?
>>

> This sounds good to me, as I had the same problem easilly finding the way
> to choose fields here.

Switching the order should help. Originally, the button's menu didn't have
a field's submenu, and the fields were listed at the bottom of the menu (to
allow for an unknown number of entries). That didn't work well for tables
with lots of columns, since it often pushed access to expression menu
actions off the screen; so I made a submenu.

Changing the menu action text to long descriptions, like the proposed one
for expression, may lead to 'missing' the entry to the submenu while
mousing that far to the right. The text's width will dictate the total
width of the menu. This was a problem with the expression string menu
entry, which is now truncated.

I'd prefer to just explain it better in the text below the buttons and in
those button's description/tool tip.

Regards,

Larry