[Qgis-developer] Coordination of Hackfest with FOSS4G

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed May 29 06:39:11 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> if I understand correctly, Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 are the hackdays
> of foss4g which normally were done after the conference. But now
> combined with the workshops which normally preceded the conference.
> My experience is that most core developers of the different foss4g
> projects show up on these days (and other interested shove by).
>
> QGIS hackfest was/is planned from 12 - 16
>
> Isn't this perfectly planned? We first hack for 4 day full steam on
> QGIS, and then optionally 2 extra days with some extra new people (OR
> you can choose to attend another hackbof (I'm very interested in
> OpenLayers and MapProxy for example).

 I think there may be some confusion between the FOSS4G Hackathon and
the Code Sprints...

 The Hackathon ("Hack Days") is a thing sponsored by The Met Office
where a bunch of random geeks get together to work on developing
solutions to problems, guided mainly by Met Office ideas.  The plan is
to be similar to the NHS Hack Day (where geeks work on projects for
health data and clinical procedure) or other "Random Hacks of
Kindness" (RHOK) projects.

The Code Sprint is intended to be a free space for open-source project
devs and interested parties to get together and work on their
projects. FOSS4G supplies the room and the electricity and phone
numbers of local pizza places. We should be able to provide code
sprint facilities during the main conference as well as the special
code sprint day on the Sunday.

 Now, I'm not saying QGIS couldn't run a code sprint during the
hackathon days (personally I think its a great idea, would have to run
it past the committee and make sure there's space) but that's not what
the hackathon is.

http://2013.foss4g.org/programme/hackathon/
http://2013.foss4g.org/programme/code-sprint/

 Hope that's all clear!