[Qgis-developer] SIP API Update

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Wed May 29 23:12:15 PDT 2013

Hey all,

I have decided to manage the SIP API update process so that we can have it
done by 2.0.  This is an important update as leaving it for later will
break every plugin yet again at later date which just leaves a really bad
taste for people to deal with. A few plugin authors have already expressed
that they would not be impressed having to do another major update again in
the future. And I agree.

So having said that this is the current plan:

- I have created a branch with the SIP API v2 update
 - Update all the core plugins in the sipapi-udate[0] branch over the next
couple of days
-  Merge into master

I couldn't update all the core plugins myself BUT it would be a lot easier
if I could call on the plugin authors to run though their own code and do
the quick update.  The risk of me doing it is that I might break something
and not know it.  You know your code best so the help would be greatly
appreciated.

I updated most of the console code and Salvatore has already cleaned the
rest up for me so that is one thing out of the way.

And here comes the kicker: I would like to do this as quickly as we can so
to reduce the gap between master and the branch.  The sooner we merge it to
master the sooner we can open it to wider testing, but I don't expect to
run into any major issues when we do.

If you are not aware of what benefits the SIP API update will bring here is
a quick example:

Before:

>>> str(yourlineedit.text().toString())
'Hello World'
>>> feature["column"].toInt()[0]
100

After

>>> yourlineedit.text()
'Hello World'
>>> feature["column"]
1000

It will make life for us and plugin authors a hell of a lot easier.

I have put together a quick guide[1] with some examples.  It is open edit
so feel free to add any notes you have. It might be good to turn it into a
plugin translate guide for future plugin authors moving to 2.0.

Regards,
Nathan

[0] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/tree/sipapi-update
[1]