[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 point release?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Nov 12 03:39:24 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 02:29:08PM +1100, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> A bit of an update on how this is progressing:
>
> I got reasonably close to cherry picking a large number of commits from
> master which apply to the 2.0 branch. Originally, I'd included any fixes
> which were applicable, including commits which introduce new strings or
> change strings. In hindsight this was a mistake - I don't think any string
> changes should be pulled into the 2.0 branch as this would then require
> translation updates/etc. So I'm going to re-go through my branch and remove
> these fixes.
>
> There's quite a lot of useful fixes which do apply nicely to 2.0, so I
> still think a point release is a good idea. I'll post an update when I've
> got my branch ready to merge.

Thank you for your work Nyall.

I think one important safety measure when doing point releases would be
ensuring that the existing successful tests remains successful.
I know it's not easy as there's no 100% succeeding testsuite right now
(would help _a_lot_ to have one), but you could compare the runs between
the two branches (2.0.1 and 2.0.2-dev).

Ideally (one day) backports would not be allowed if without a testcase
to prove the fix was needed :)

--strk;