[Qgis-developer] Bug with avoid intersection - willing to fund fix

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at faunalia.pt
Thu Nov 14 02:40:51 PST 2013

> In other words, I agree with Giovanni that these are pretty
> important bugs for many and not really uncommon digitization use-cases and
> would support his categorization as blocker…

I can't remember how many times I blamed the user not to digitize the
right way, and at the end discovered that is a qgis issue... that by
the way affects not only postGIS, but Spatialite and shapes as well...

This bug is critical because among the other things is misleading
about how correct can be the work of digitizing topologically correct
maps.

> However, my current workaround is to ignore the untidiness in the topology
> at first and then send the vector dataset through GRASS which is (at least
> for not too big datasets) quite convenient using the Sextante/Processing
> framework (see also discussion here):

cleaning afterwards is certainly a possibility, especially now is
easier with processing/sextante,
but still it is not an easy solution for the average user. Moreover
importing vectors into GRASS data model using the snapping
can do miracles, but also can change slightly the geometries, and
sometimes this is not an option.

having a topological editing toolbox, that will allow to choose the
rules beforehand, seems still a long shot so relying on basically the
only rule available should be possible o should work.