[Qgis-developer] Bug with avoid intersection - willing to fund fix

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Nov 15 02:16:05 PST 2013

Hi Andreas

Of course I fully understand your point about the need for financing, and hopefully George`s offer will change things for topological correct editing.

However, there could be several reasons for a lack of funding until now:
Probably, many users are not really aware of the bug(s)? Back in 1.7.4 editing was no longer possible once invalid geometries were produced by "Avoid intersection" and users got an error message. Nowadays, you can continue digitizing without noticing that geometries are not topologically correct. The result looks good and you have to actively search (or check) for such digitization errors. I guess, not everybody does that, so I assume also a lack of awareness could be a reason for the lack of funding...

Furthermore, some users who are aware may prefer such (of course not too convenient) workarounds over trying to raise some money for funding a proper fix.
And finally, as it is unfortunately the case for me - for example -, even if I am seriously affected by the bug it is really very difficult (for not to say impossible) to raise a reasonable amount of money to get this (or another bugs) fixed, because:
In my Institute ArcGIS is the "Standard" GIS application, and I am one of few "nerds" (that is at least how I feel I am sometimes being looked at) who use OSGeo products. I was and am actively promoting (amongst other OSGeo applications) QGIS in my institute because I am convinced that QGIS is in many cases much more suitable for our purposes than ArcGIS. One very important activity is mapping (and digitizing) habitat types for public authorities, who request data with proper topology.
So, the topology problems are definitely an obstacle regarding promoting QGIS here. And since my bosses already paid for ArcGIS licenses (which does not have these problems) and a wider introduction of QGIS will also cause some extra transaction costs (e.g. learning) in short term, the consequence is that my institute will stick to ArcGIS. This makes it extremely difficult to convince my bosses to donate some money for bug fixing, even though QGIS offers (from my point of view) superior solutions for our problems and we will benefit from using QGIS in the long run... It is a bit of a witches circle in a way, and the only alternative would be to use private money...

Cheers
Stefan