[Qgis-developer] Minimum qt version - bumping to 4.6?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Nov 14 16:11:47 PST 2013

On 11/13/2013 10:44 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 13/11/2013 22:22, Larry Shaffer ha scritto:
>
>> When this was last discussed [0] (over a year ago, and to no
>> conclusion), the lowest version for Qt, on a production platform
>> providing QGIS, was 4.5, but there were third-party updates for
>> those platforms even then.
>
>> +1 for at least Qt 4.6 as the new minimum. However, with some more
>> research, we may find 4.7, or even 4.8, reasonable.
>
> Hi Larry,
> you're right, this is taking too long. I'd suggest to move to 4.8. The
> only major distro where we'll have issues is win32, but upgrading
> there shouldn't be a major problem (and it is anyway desirable to keep
> 64 and 32 in sync).
> I'd suggest that if nobody raises serious issues within, say, a week,
> we move forward.
> Thanks.

I think the slow poke is actually likely to be CentOS/Redhat based
linux. This probably matters more for QGIS server but we do list desktop
packages for that family. Qt 4.6.x appears to be what's in the current
CentOS/Redhat 6

+1 for moving minimum to 4.6

It's probably reasonable to bump Qt version once per year, so in 2014 if
CentOS/Redhat 7 comes out I expect it will have something newer (4.7+)

Traditionally this distro is the the furthest behind but is quite common
in corporate/enterprise deployments (more servers than desktops).

Thanks,
Alex